Saturday 30 April 2011

And back to Vientiane

Another mammoth bus journey, ten hours in a VIP bus heading to the capital through the spectacular mountainous region of southern Laos. With enchanting mountains similar to those in northern Vietnam near the Chinese border we slowly headed south climbing the sweeping roads ageing clinging to the sides of the mountains. 
A friend joked that this could be my trail for the tv programme coach trip. Well the bus was full but I only made travel bus friends with those sitting near me; a chatty girl from Jersey, the Aussie couple siting in front who reclined their chairs the moment we got on almost causing dvt in the first two hours of the trip as space was tight, five monks, a few who smoked! And and older Aussie guy travelling around SE Asia.  After ten hours with them I would vote myself off!!!! 
So now to my first day in town. I have now escaped the afternoon rain in a bar and am having a burger and beer Lao, having been to Buddha park and two major temples so far today.  I can see that the dusty streets of Vientiane are now lined with shopping centres and tourist shops and there's of course a travellers district just next to the Mekong river. It's great as it all makes travelling much easier to do. Of course I'm sitting here sipping beer and using their wifi to post this. This is progress! 
And I watched some of the wedding highlights this morning whilst having breakfast on the hotel.  Although the news was too dominated by it before hand, I must admit it was amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment