Friday 2 December 2022

The Long and Winding Road

 One thing I love about travelling is getting on the open road on a bus and exploring different places. Yesterday was an extreme day of  travel. I started off in Chiang Rai and got the bus down to Chang Mai, then picked up a  minivan to take me all the way across the winding roads to Mae Hong Son. It is reported that there are over 1700 curves along the winding road as you go up and down the mountains to climb higher and higher towards the Burmese border. At each toilet stop you disembark from the van and have sea legs from the perpetual swaying of the vehicle. 

Fortunately, the promised nine hour journey only ended up being seven, which was a real treat. When I arrived at Mae Hong Son I headed straight down to the Lakeside and had a fantastic meal and a well-deserved beer, looking over to the beautifully lit temple at the bottom of the mountain. I was last here 20 years ago, so it’s great to be back. It’s still a beautiful laid back city, only enticing travellers willing to endure the journey! 

No comments:

Post a Comment