Tuesday 26 December 2023

The gentrification of Shyambazaar

It’s great to be able to mix up your accommodation on your travels. I could never just stay in bland faceless hotels and love the individuality of smaller guest houses. My Christmas pressie to myself was a four night stay in Calcutta Bungalow, a 6 room lovingly restored town house in North Kolkata. It is stunning and I would say is the best place I have ever stayed. I have a huge suite and a balcony, a roof terrace to take my breakfast. And there’s no telephones in the rooms, you are linked to a WhatsApp group! 

It’s a photographers paradise in Shayambazar. The old houses in the neighbourhood were once home to the rich salt traders in the 18th Century. The tiny side streets are full of small dwellings and on every street corner is a chai stall. Couples come here to have their photos taken by the colourful artwork and the beautiful houses. And of course wherever you go people always say that you are staying at Calcutta Bungalow. Normally I like to be in the centre of town, but I’ve loved exploring this new area, getting on the metro and taking the beautiful yellow cabs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment