Friday 23 April 2010

Having a rest

Having a mini break in my tavels
Pokhara is the perfect place to kick back and relax. A huge lake, great views, touristy choices of restaurants and I love my balcony. Today there is a strike in town and all the shops are shut, no-one seems quite sure why there is a strike, Maoist distuptions most likely or just general upset or sherpa and porter strikes, who knows in Nepal, where people power and political movements are strong, but as everywhere, the army is even stronger and their base is just round the corner.
My balcony overlooks a building site and I can see into the forever manual construction of the top floor. In the heat of the day cement is mixed and spread thickly over each brick level. One female worker brings her tiny son each afternoon, and he must only be just older than 1. She places him down by the pile of bricks, where he silently sits and plays. How different things are! Yesterday he just looked up at me and burst into tears - poor little thing!
No doubt I will see him again tomorrow, as word on the street is that there is another big strike tomorrow, but after that I am off to Chitwan national park for some safari adventure!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry but building sites, water problems and queuing doesn't sound like my idea of a good holiday, next sabbatical should be the lakes of Switzerland!!

    ReplyDelete