Tuesday 20 December 2011

A sea of saffron coloured robes 

Bodh Gaya is amazing!!! As one of the four most spiritual sites for Buddhists in the world, Thai, Japanese, Bhutanese, Tibetan temples are scattered around the city. The real gem is the main temple in the centre of town, marking where Lord Buddha attainted enlightenment. Thousands of people flock here everyday, especially in this season when Tibetans escape their harsh winter.  Also the Dalai Lamas' second in command is in town, I saw his heavily guarded car sweep through the main street this afternoon.  The Dalai Lama will be visiting at the end of the month and hundreds of thousands will head here for the chance to see him.  I caught up with the guy who guided my auto rickshaw driver to the hotel when I arrived late at night.  He also leant me the money to pay him, as i didn't have any change.  The price was to listen to his tale of setting up a charity for the homeless. LP alerts you of this scam, but my prize was a trip round town on his motorbike, stopping at the various temples.  It's so hard that you have to keep your guard up just in case.  My fellow train traveller offered me the wise advice of trust no-one, harsh but true.  However it is great to chat with people along the way, just as I did with a family in the restaurant when I first arrived.  The woman was amazed that I was travelling alone, as she said that she couldn't even go to the market by herself.  That really puts things into perspective.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment