Wednesday 8 January 2014

Another amazing trip comes to an end

Here's some funny highlights!
Monk cutting toe nails in front of us when we're the only visitors for months
Girl serving beer then cleaning out her ears with a key and wiping wax on black jeans
Steering cruise boat with feet whilst playing game on phone - thank goodness Harlong bay channel is so wide
Rat running through my legs whilst crossing road in Hanoi
Mouse trapped on our first class sleeper cabin
Man violently shaking his hard whilst showing us a restaurant menu
Me needing to get a bra mended - in Asia a c cup is the equivalent of Jordan!!!

What an incredible trip - amazing to catch up with Em, we're already planing our 50th birthday adventure!  And so wonderful to come back to Vietnam after 16 years!!! It was so hard to travel in before, but a fantastic experience as tourism was relatively new then. This is why I headed to Myanmar last year, just as I did to this part of south East Asia all that time ago as an independent traveller travelling in new frontiers. I also went back to Loas a couple of years ago and enjoyed travelling in air conditioned buses on paved roads. In the nineties there was just a bumpy road from the capital Vientiane to Luang Prabang and I had to take a truck for 18 hours with an armed guard to stave off mountain bandits!!!!!
I'm now having a beer whilst I wait for my night train to take me back to Hanoi. I'm on the Vietnamese/ Chinese border town of Lao Chai and have 24 hours left before I fly hope. Yet again I have been overwhelmed with the kindness of strangers. From the Sapa hotel staff who packed me a dinner for my train trip tonight, to the hill tribe kid girl who gave me a bracelet, to the tax men at their staff meal who serenaded us with jingle bells on their guitar just before Christmas, to the nine hill tribe women who got me down to the villages today and the seamstress who mended my bra without looking shocked about the cup size!!!!
Ok the weather was not great, too much cloud, but the warmth of the people really made up for this.  What more can I say - great food, amazing people and fascinating places to visit    and you feel safe and supported along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment