Saturday 5 July 2014

I'm on a horse in Mongolia (for 5 minutes)


Awoke in the middle of the night with the ger door flapping in the wind and it's freezing, this is the coldest I've been in a long time but at least now we're in a ger and sleeping on a mattress.
The morning starts with a game of catch with the young brother of the eagle hunter. After breakfast we walk up to the steep hill where there are some eagle nests. The sisters scarper up the steep rocky side and start collecting twigs for firewood. I decline this challenge and watch as they scamper up the hill and sneak in a power nap to recharge for what's next. After showing the girls how to make stones balance like Jenga my horse arrives!!!
With an audience it takes me ten minutes to psyche myself up and I get on the horse screeching, then as I'm led round I wince and squeal with fear at every step and after five minutes decide that trotting across the valley to the glacier is not going to happen. No one around me quite understands the problem as they are all on horses from the offset !!! Relieved to be on firm ground I walk behind the horse with Rachel on and we head to the glacier. The valley just gets prettier and prettier and after about an hour, with the little brother as my guide we get to the glacier for a snow ball fight, which ends really quickly as the snow melts so rapidly !

No comments:

Post a Comment