Saturday 20 December 2014

I know it's only 50 rupees for the rickshaw, but I am a little fat and need to walk

Now the jet lag is slowly waring off I spend a dozy day wondering round town. There has been a local tragedy, with three women living in the local ashram threatened with eviction and committed suicide. This has caused local outrage and the whole town was on strike. Riot police were everywhere and the shutters were firmly shut across Pondicherry. After heading to a couple of temples, being blessed twice !! I then have to go in search of the restaurant where I'm meeting an old work colleague who's here teaching yoga. I spot the shutter of the closed restaurant of our rendezvous and luckily it's only secretly shut, so when we go they bring up the shutters and whisk us in! After a good catch up and a walk we head our separate ways and after a stroll along the beach I indulge in an afternoon nap. After making my reviving coffee I then manage to kick it over, smashing it and spilling all the coffee on the beautiful rug in my teak festooned heritage hotel room ...aarghhh! 
With the sun going down the shutters come up and the city springs back into life. I head off in search of the clothing Mecca FabIndia, I even love it's name. I decline the offer of a 50 rupee rickshaw ride and put my best foot forward to start my shopping ....

No comments:

Post a Comment