Sunday 21 December 2014

And a squeeze of lime in your eye will stop you drinking

I head out of Pondicherry to the west for a day of forts and temple viewing. My taxi driver, who insists his name is Guru, makes plenty of stops when I want to take photos and we end up in a tiny temple just off the main road to Gingee. Here a group of men are celebrating their sobriety and during the blessing from the priest they get a squeeze of lime in the eye - crikey that would be enough to put anyone off drink! They then get a red band on the wrist to remind them off their sobriety, but brilliantly the priest answered his phone whilst performing this ceremony. 
Then I stop at Gingee Fort, a complex of forts across the multiple hill stops. The views are stunning and an ancient temple provides another opportunity to be blessed. Here I'm invited to lunch by a lovely family, but I'm running out of time and need to press on! It's so funny being here where there are so few International tourists! 

No comments:

Post a Comment