Thursday 25 December 2014

Where to stand


There's always an element of chaos at the train stations. Checking platforms, checking for delays and getting the right spot to stand for your carriage, as there's about 40 of them! We see a decline in services, cost cutting and fewer more crowded trains. Indian railways is one of the biggest employers in the country, moving millions of people daily from A to B. When I got on the overnight train to Madurai I really misjudged the spot and as the train pulled away the train guide helped me by dragging my rucksack through half a dozen carriages of sleeping passages, as it had gone midnight. Today I'm heading north and in the light of day the chaos is easier, here at Madurai station there's digital displays showing the train number and carriage. Come on Chennai express,  I'm eager to explore my next destination of Tiruchchirapali. 
Yesterday I walked though the maze of back streets by the dried up river, taking my own walking tour of where the locals lived. The streets were full of temples, children and families going about their daily business, just slightly bemused as to why a traveller would be wondering in their neighbourhood. So many people wanted me to take their photos, from the bamboo sellers to the women at the water pumps! I ended up playing a game at the end of the street, must find out what's it's called bot you flick a white counter and have goals in each corner - like finger snooker! Let's just say I did better playing cricket with the kids the other evening and it's always a pleasure to find yet another you're hopeless at! 

No comments:

Post a Comment