Thursday 20 December 2012

And then she called me spinster



Whilst heading up the steep steps to get to the temples overlooking the town on a small hill ridge, I walked past the local primary school. Kids were soon hanging out of the glassless windows shouting! The teachers came out and I was beckoned in, as I had already created a lot of disruption!  So within minutes I was sitting in the classroom, to the absolute delight of the kids and was being quizzed by the teachers. Well the questions were the usual - how old am I , who am I travelling with and am I married . So when I answered 42, no-one and no, then one of the teachers said I was a spinster. They immediately fed me with water Mellon - surely as some form of condolence. 
The temples here are breathtaking. On every hill there is a golden stupa shinning across the plains. Today I saw a huge temple honouring Buddhas tooth in a shiny glass cabinet. The only other temple I have visited with the same relic is the incredible Buddha tooth temple in Kandy, Sri Lanka. These temple complexes interlinked on the hill side and I huffed and puffed up the individual steep stairs cases to reach each peak and walk around the golden stupas.  Amazing.
My reward in the evening was to watch the sun set across the river and then to head to the famed beer garden restaurant, where according to LP you can get the coldest beer in town and have wonderful BBQ food. Instead of wearily walking in the heat I treated myself to a motorbike taxi to get me there. This surely  is living the dream with such a perfect combination! 

No comments:

Post a Comment