Friday 28 December 2012

I know it's Christmas, but there was really no room at the inn!!!



Over the years I have become more planned in my travel and try as much as I can to book ahead. Wether it be driving into Las Vegas, heading into Agra or Yangon, I've had a booking. I must admit Bagan defeated me! No-one returned my emails and I called 7 places and they were all full! 
So after a roller coaster 11 hour overnight train journey, where at times you thought the train would come off the tacks as it was rolling so much , all I wanted was to have a kip in a lovely bed.  So I shared a taxi with the Swedish couple on the same carriage as me and we headed into new bagan. They had made a reservation months ago and I tried their hotel,  but it was full!  So then I spent an hour with the taxi driver going round town and everywhere was full, as this is the peak of peak season.... Eventually on the outskirts of town we find a new luxury hotel and its $70 a night - a ridiculous amount to pay and as I have planned to stay here for four nights my plans changed,  as there is just no rooms just before new year... So I have an unexpected couple of days in Mandalay as a consequence and another bus journey!   
Still it's worth it to be staying here, as this is the jewel destination in burma's crown - thousands of temples are dotted across the plains and its my wonderful challenge of the day to cycle to as many of the as I can !!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment