Sunday 30 December 2012

Pedal power


Peddle power

It's amazing the satisfaction you get from travelling under your own steam.  All too often it's easy to be on the back of a motor bike or to pound the streets, but to see the temples scattered across the plains of Bagan you need peddle power. Not having been on a bike for about six years, this was a true challenge, and I am sure I tested the patience of my co-cyclist, an Australian woman I had met in the restaurant the previous evening. Well I did my best, which meant cycling from 9 am to 7 pm!!!! 
I've cycled round the ancient Thai capital, been on the back of a bike exploring the sprawling  temples of Ankor, but this was an amazing experience.  Each thousand year old temple housed its own treasures, from beautiful paintings, countless statutes and reclining Buddhas, all in a variety of states of repair. 
We ditched the guide book and navigated randomly around, but were rewarded with the most amazing sites. Climbing temples to get beautiful panoramic views, exploring off the beaten track temples and wobbling along the road or sandy tracks from place to place. 
At one point I asked for directions and the excited lady by the temple said that she had a key, which when I hollered to lucy, was translated to I need a pee (probably true!). So we were shown around an amazing temple covered floor to ceiling with paintings of Buddha and she was saying that often she only gets two visitors a day - and this is peak season. 
After the most wonderful sunset on top of a monastery building we cycled back in the pitch black, with only tiny dynamo lights to guide us and I have never earned a beer more in my life or tasted one so good .....

No comments:

Post a Comment