Saturday 5 January 2013

New year - another new destination


With the days ticking on I decided to leave Mandalay, having visited the tourist haunts and experienced both sunset and sun rise at the amazing U Bein bridge - the longest teak bridge in the world and at dawn and dusk it's traversed by monks and locals alike, which makes great photos!!! 
I boarded my bus for inle lake at 730 and was sitting next to a young lad, who together with his friends were passing round whiskey to start the journey. I soon fell asleep and when we had our first food and comfort stop I realised that my neighbour had been sick all over the bus floor!!! So I saw new year on the bus heading east and was dozing all the way - just as I did last year when I was travelling from Gwalior to Agra, I decided to celebrate on the 1st. However it was a shock to the system to reach my destination at 3am and in the pitch black find a shared minibus and head into town. Again there is a huge problem of over demand and I was the only one out of a dozen to have booked, so we all slept on chairs scattered around the travel agency office until the sun came up and then whilst the others left in search of a room, I left in search of a lemon sugar pancake to revive me!

No comments:

Post a Comment