Friday 20 December 2019

Bless me

This is normally uttered in response to a sneeze, but not on this trip.  I hired an auto driver to take me around the surrounding villages of Madurai before I heading into the incredible Meenakshi temple in the evening.  After walking past a tiny temple I was ushered into what was my first Sri Baba temple. A large family were celebrating the dad’s birthday and I’m really not quite sure how this happened but I was suddenly festooned with a huge garland and a temple hat. Then I’m blessed and asked to bless the whole family separately with a metal stick. So I proceed to knight all of them and then packed off with the temple offerings of a packet of biscuits (which will come in handy on my long trip tomorrow) and a laminated Sri Baba money note saying as a follower I’ll get prosperity and wealth!    Very peculiar, so I left and popped the hat in my bag, the garland at the front of the auto and waved as I drove past very bemused....

No comments:

Post a Comment