Tuesday 3 January 2012

I'm leaving on a jet plane, don't know when I'll be back again

So as always here's the reflective last email ....  So Incredible India, so crowded, so chaotic, so noisy, so polluted, so much hassle, so challenging, so amazing, so colourful and the thing that amazes me most is that I feel more safe here than I do back at home.  In all the situations that I have been in, I have never felt scared or threatened.  Never have I felt unsafe, from travelling at night or walking through crowded streets. Don't get me wrong, I am certainly not under the illusion that India is totally safe, terrible things happen everywhere.  However when you are confronted so frequently by people who have absolutely nothing, your camera probably equals two years salary on average.  It's amazing to have met so many incredible people.  As I started this blog I stated that often people are just memorable as the sights that you see. From the family in Bodh Gaya who pointed me in the right directions to the main sights, to the Sadu in the countryside who made me tea, to the auto rickshaw driver in Varanasi, Bablu, who walked along the Ghats with me on Christmas day I  extend my thanks, as you all added a great dimension to my trip. My motorbike rode through the countryside, my local restaurant in Agra that let me use the wifi even though I had never eaten there, the lovely Tibetan monks in Bodh Gaya and the woman I shared my first train trip with - this trip was equally about meeting people as exploring places and when you ate travelling alone in India you won't be alone for long , even of it's just a crowd of people watching you !!! India is set to have the largest population on the next decade and is also set to be one of the worlds booming economies.  It's hard to imagine that when you see streets full of homeless or fields full of farm labourers. Outside of Delhi  I have yet to see the more southern cities with high degrees of affluence and money, but you can just imagine, as it brings yet another stark contrast with widening gap of the have's and have nots.  

No comments:

Post a Comment