Sunday 1 January 2012

Taking it easy

My first trip to India was really rushed. I wanted to see as much as possible and embarked on what felt like an endurance test of crazy overnight trains arriving in the wee small hours and then rushing round these amazing destinations dog tired.  Now I travel at a more leisurely pace and have chosen only four destinations outside of Delhi to visit. This makes a much more leisurely experience and you get a much better opportunity to get under the skin of where you are. Khajuraho is a great place, a two street town, where everyone knows everyone and everyone wants your custom. Gone are the Varanasi shouts of boats, here are enticements to come and looking into my shop 'looking is free' and lads with nothing else to do but hang around talking to tourists.  I must admit that this is now getting very tiresome, as there is a constant stream of mindless annoying chatter.  I did head off on a motorbike adventure yesterday afternoon , which was great. I even had tea made for me by a Sadu in a temple, which certainly was a highlight. It was great to get out into the countryside and head to small remote villages. In one there was a old guy with a cobra in a basket to entertain the trickle of tourists passing through. Incredible India !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment