Wednesday 8 November 2017

It's not our place

 
One of the must see's in Varanasi is to go along the Ganges at dawn, to see all the devout start their day with a refreshing dip in the river. Given the high level of pollution there although I would love to have my sins washed away, however it's a health hazard, so I'll just watch from the boat. As the Prime Minister is from here there have been good improvements over the last few years and a new dawn arti is now performers at Assi Ghat, at the end of the ghats to the south. It was well worth leaving at 4am to take a boat along the river as the city slowly woke up, and then see sunrise behind the arti ceremony. I was on a shared boat with the hotel and when we went to sit down the German woman resisted sitting at the front, saying 'it's not our place'. It's so interesting meeting new people and sharing experiences and plans. I always love to sit near the action ( apart from stand up comedy, when you are more likely to be picked on!). So it's great to have someone's else's take on the situation. What did I do? I sat in the middle then got up to go to the side to take photos. 
Then afterwards I meet Sonu, our guide from the Sunderbans and we walk along the ghats back to Assi Ghat for much needed refreshments and shelter from the 40 degree heat. It's great to have friends in India! 

1 comment: