Saturday 28 December 2019

Christmas in Kochi

It was the Portuguese who were the first Europeans to take and settle in Kochi, then came the Dutch. But there’s also Chinese influences, with the beautiful Chinese fishing nets on the shore line. The island is full of churches, so there were plenty of choice for my midnight mass destination. In the end I went to the nearest one, remembering a rather unexpected traumatic post mass inability to get back to the hotel last year on my last Indian travels, as the streets were patrolled by barking territorial dogs, who were not welcoming to strangers walking on their patch. In the end we had to ask for a lift back to the hotel from fellow worshippers. This time Santa Cruz Church was 5 mins away and the service and went ok and I got back to my room without a hitch!    

No comments:

Post a Comment