Saturday 28 December 2019

Waiting to hear if my train ticket will be confirmed

It’s peak travel season here and everyone is on the move. Even when I booked this ticket in early November it was not confirmed so I was on waitlist.  And I had to be on this train on the 27th to travel overnight to Mysore, so I was so relieved to see the ticket confirmed late afternoon of my travel, but I’ve boarded trains before still on waitlist and there’s always a way to make it work.

The only time I feel slightly anxious is making sure I’m on the right platform and then to stand by the right carriage. In London you can always tell the savvy commuters, who know where to stand to be at the carriage doors. Here the trains are giant beats, perhaps 20 carriages long and believe me I’ve only done it once where I’ve had to traverse every carriage with a rucksack, managing to bump into every protruding foot of the slumbering passengers. So I normally head straight to the station masters office to get the info, then wait in the ladies waiting room, and then find a friendly family! I hit the jackpot, and found a family who were in the same carriage as me, so we waited together until the delayed train thundered into the station at 10.15pm.  The husband questioned my solo travel, asking “you have no one to help you?” I’m not sure he realises but he’s part of my helpful gang! 

No comments:

Post a Comment